August 4, 2011

Best Summer EVER

Monday some SURPies and I went to The Sunburnt Cow, all you can eat and drink (yes, alcohol included) for $20 only! The problem with going there that day was that I had not eaten anything until here (7pm), so my stomach was really empty and after 2 cocktails, I was feeling it. This never happens! Now I know what it feels like to drink on an empty stomach haha. Definitely worth a trip here though, I heard the brunch was really good too. After that I went to a Belgium place to celebrate Sining’s 21st, the waffle was amazing (even though I just took a bit cause I could handle no more food).

Tuesday, I had finally had Ippudo with Stephen, after hearing about it foreverrrr. It was delicious and highly recommended! At night, I met up with Nicole and Joewin to go to a place Alice suggested for pork over rice, Wah Fung, again….AMAZING!! Only $3 too geez, what a deal. We then walked to Brooklyn bridge over the Manhattan bridge trying to find a place to take pictures. However, it randomly started to pour, so we just chilled in a Starbucks until it got better and headed home. Brooklyn Bridge take 2 the next day.
Wednesday, I had my last lab meeting, which I dunno is good or bad lol. Later, I had dinner with Susana and Sarah at a nice sushi place. We then met up with Marjorie, Nicole, and Joewin at Brooklyn bridge for take 2. There was a couple there in a wedding dress playing in the river while getting their photo taken, it was so cute! Though, I can’t help but wonder how much her dress cost that she is ruining by standing in the river. After some nice pictures, we went to karaoke in K-town. Ahhh I miss singing!! I hate being in a dorm because don’t like random neighbours/roommates hearing my singing lol.
Thursday I went to Six Flags Great Adventure with Susana, Stephen, John, and Victor. This place was so different than the one in LA. Although it is the original, it is definitely much smaller (only about 8 roller coasters versus 18 ish), the park was smaller as well. My favorite ride there has got to be Kingda Ka, it’s kind of like Superman at Magic Mountain but shoot you up at 120mph and then drops you down on a different side haha, very fun. It was such a long day because I woke up at 6am after sleeping at 4am, headed out at 7am to pick up breakfast/meet people, got picked up at 8am, got there at 10:30am, it started to rain in between so we bummed in the car for 2 hours, got out of the park by 8pm, dropped by Sonic because some of them NYers have never had it, got back at midnight lol.

Friday was such a bittersweet day because we’re all moving out Saturday, and possibly never seeing each other again. We ate at Otto with our mentors, and that place is amazing. I swear this program is awesome because we got huge gourmet tray of appetizers, various personal pizzas, coffee break, and many many flavours of gelato including sour cream and olive oil! This place tastes very authentic. We then went to the park to get our certificates and Chaia and Josh made paper plate awards for us, as well as Chiye, who is the best person ever and I’m so glad she is the director of the program.  At night, some SURPies and I went to Pommes Frites again to have our last dinner together! It was so bittersweet saying goodbye to everyone because we may or may not see each other again L After that I met up with Sining, Jay, and some friends (well…ended up being lots of people) to karaoke at K-one, I really like the atmosphere of that place and not too expensive!

Saturday, my last day, I moved out in the morning, and then went to an Indian Buffet. After that, we shopped for a bit, and ate Mediterranean food. Both places were amazinggg and as I am writing this one day later, I still haven’t hungry after stuffing myself with lots of naan/pita + meat.

I'm glad that I got to do most of the things I stated in my first week post of NY. Makes me feel very accomplished!

1.       Watch Broadway Watched THREE Broadways and spent less than $60 in all.

2.       Watch a fashion show (I doubt this is likely…) Well...I went to Alexander McQueen exhibit if that counts :)

3.       Sew a tote bag I'm sewing a camera bag instead haha

4  Take nice pictures (especially at night: Brooklyn Bridge, Time S nitely took much more than I thought and grew as  photographer.

5.       Some museums like MoMA Check, check, and check, went to 4 museums I think

6.       Six Flags New Jersey So much fun!
7.       Skydive at Long Island I did go to Long Island though!
8.       Shop Of course
9.       Eat: Try most of the famous cart foods and cool/interesting restaurants. I definitely accomplished this more than anything else.
10.   Bake macarons Even though it failed.



I’m sad to say my summer in NY is over. It has been one of the best summers ever. Goodbye New York.

Before I end this post, I compiled a list of all my favorite places to eat for future reference and suggestions, so here they are (note, this is about 30% of the places I went to so they are good, trust me):


Mostly cheap cause I’m cheap
$ under 10, $$ 11-20, $$$ 21-30

Ukrainian: 
            Streechas $
Carts:
Korean/Mexican: Korilla $
Indian: Kati roll $
Belgium waffles: Waffles & Dingles $
Japanese:
Ramen: Ippudo $$
Oyako don + skewers : Tori Shin $$$
Soba noodles: Soba koh $$
Chinese:
Milk Tea: TKettle $, CoCo $, Kung Fu Tea $
Seafood and homecooked dishes: Zhou zhi jia $$
Soup Dumplings: nan xiang xiao long bao $
Sesame pancake + duck/boiled pork dumplings: Prosperity Dumpling $
Roast pork over rice: Wah Fung
Bagel: 
           Ess-A Bagel $
Cambodian: 
          Num Pang $
Deli: 
          Katz Deli $$
Mexican: 
         Tulcingo Del Valle $
Italian
Pizza: Lombardis $$
Pizza and everything else: Otto $$
Chicken wings + interesting Korean drinks: BonChon $$
Brunch: Sunburnt Cow (all you can eat + drink (alcohol included)) $$
Empanada mama $$

No comments:

Post a Comment